“Top 10 reasons why constant complaining is so toxic in the workplace.”
1. “It makes things look worse than they are.” If your job is 80% positive and 20% negative but you spend most of the time complaining about the smaller 20%, things will look worse than they are.
2. “It becomes habit.” The more you focus on the negative, the harder it gets to switch into a positive mindset.
3. “You get what you focus on.” If you focus on the negatives of the present; that’s all you tend to see in the future. Confirmation Bias
4. “It leads to onedownmanship.” That’s nothing…my story is worse.
5. “It makes people despondent.” Why take action, we are doomed.
6. “It kills innovation.” What’s the point; it’s hopeless.
7. “It favors negative people.” Being the most negative provides status among complainers.
8. “It promotes bad relationships.” Promotes interpersonal relationships based on negative experiences.
9. “It creates cliques.” Complainers unite.
10. “Pessimism is bad for you.” Research has shown that people who are more likely to see the world in a positive light live longer, are healthier, enjoy life more and are more successful at work.
The free online book: “Happy Hour is 9 to 5; Learn How To Love Your Job, Love Your Life and Kick Butt at Work” provides some decent advice.