I gathered some ingredients to make a traditional Arabian dish called Kepsa. It’s similar to arroz con pollo which is rice with chicken. Mom and my abuela used to make it.
I love the aroma of spices, the way it wafts through my home….utter deliciousness:
Ingredients: (The following for 5 people)
Chicken enough for 5 people
5 cups of Biryani Rice (or any long, thin rice) [one cup of rice is recommended for each person to have enough for his fill, but usually this will create leftovers, so you can make adjustments in this amount)
1 Onion (Yellow or white, as you prefer)
Spices (Curry, Cumin, Arabic Spices, Salt, Pepper, at times ginger is really good)
Black Lemon (optional, but can also use yellow lemons)
3-5 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
9 cups of Water
1.Chop the onions and tomatoes separately. Chop them small because later they will form a part into the rice.
2. In a large pressurized cooking pot, pour enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot on medium-high heat.
3. Drop the onions in, and sautee. Once they are yellowed or browned enough to your taste, add the tomatoes. Mix the tomatoes and onions together, the tomatoes will begin to melt.
4. As the tomato and onion mixture is melting add the following, about a teaspoon of salt, and teaspoon of curry. Of course, you can flavor it as much as you desire.
5. Place your defrosted chicken into the mix at the bottom of the pot, Now cook the chicken until it turns white all the way through. Mix in more spices. Keep stirring, to evenly cook the chicken, and watch so the bottom of the cooker so that it doesn’t burn. (About 15-20 minutes depending on the chicken cutlets). (this is the time to be creative, Sometimes I add a small amount of tomato paste, sometimes plain yogurt or evaporated milk, sometimes I grind almonds and put it in, sometimes I add a teaspoon of honey, these are secret ingredients to make it better than anyone else).
6. Next, take the chicken piecesout from the tomato and onion mixture. Put it into an oven tray with a cover, you will now place it into a preheated oven at 450 degrees Farenheit.
7. Now you will take the 5 cups of rice, and 9 cups of water and place them together in the same pot. This will create a soup-like mixture. Time to add more salt and spices, enough to season the soup mixture. Mix it, and taste to make sure it is to your taste. Bring the water to boil.
8. Seal the lid and turn the heat to medium, after 10 minutes turn to low heat and wait another 10 minutes.
9. By this time the Kebsa rice should be finished. Empty the rice on to a very large dish or two large dishes. Everyone eats from the same dish.
10. From the oven, take the chicken that has been baking and place this on top in the middle of the dish of rice.
11. Cut some lemons on the side for the guests to squeeze on top of their servings, and some prefer to eat the kepsa with some plain yogurt.
Approximate Preparation Time: 1 hour
For more delicious Arabian recipes please go to this link.
Siempre con sabor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!